“It’s an almost unimaginable amount of energy. If the sun’s power output for a single second could be harnessed, it would satisfy the World’s energy demands for the next million years!”
Transcribed by Jeff Fenske from: The Sun (2009), broadcast on the Science Channel
The Power of the Sun:
We at Hot Purple Energy love to talk about the sun. Usually the conversations involve chatting up kilowatt production, cost savings, and environmental advantages. But there is the other side of the sun’s power that we also feel the need to discuss. Not to rain on our own solar parade, but rather to be truthful about the Power of this incredible energy source. The sun provides, but we must too be careful of just how much we can handle.
According to the Skin Cancer Foundation:
- One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
- Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than the combined incidence of cancers of the breast, prostate, lung and colon.
- Melanoma accounts for about three percent of skin cancer cases, but it causes more than 75 percent of skin cancer deaths.
- More than 20 Americans die each day from skin cancer, primarily melanoma. One person dies of melanoma almost every hour (every 62 minutes).
- The survival rate for patients whose melanoma is detected early, before the tumor has penetrated the epidermis, is about 99 percent. The survival rate falls to 15 percent for those with advanced disease.
Again. The survival rate of Melanoma:
- Early detection = 99% survival rate.
- Late detection = 15 % survival rate.
Clearly each of us needs to understand skin cancer and how to detect it on ourselves and others.
Here is the link to The Skin Cancer Foundations Self Examination Site.
We could go on and on about the importance of sun protection and proper clothing but we again refer you to the experts in the field. The skin cancer foundation is a great recourse and one that we are proud to support.
Hot Purple Energy | www.hotpurpleenergy.com
Serving The Coachella Valley